Being a responsible homeowner involves annual maintenance checklists for various systems within your home to keep everything running smoothly and safely. One system that is critical to your home is your HVAC system. To ensure that your HVAC system is getting the proper care it requires, we have devised an annual maintenance checklist for you to follow.
HVAC Annual Maintenance Checklist
Your home maintenance changes with the season; the same applies to your HVAC system maintenance. That is why we have split your annual maintenance into spring/summer and fall/winter checklists!
Spring and Summer HVAC Checklist
- Clean or replace filters
- Clean condenser and evaporator coils
- Clean drain lines
- Clear drain pans of any standing water
- Replace worn pulleys and belts
- Inspect ducts for mold, dust, and debris
- Observe humidity levels and adjust appropriately
- Check refrigerant charge and for leaks
- Test thermostats and controls to make sure temperatures and timer functions are correctly set
- Check electrical system and connections
- Check fan motor
- Check blowers and blades for proper airflow
- Lubricate motors bearings and moving parts
- Inspect cabinet for leaks and check cabinet door for secure closure
- Check for debris around the outside unit
Fall and Winter HVAC Checklist
- Replace filters on heating equipment
- Inspect ignition burner assembly
- Examine heat exchanger or heating elements
- Inspect flue system and ensure secure attachment to the furnace
- Inspect for gas leaks
- Assess gas pressure
- Check pulleys and belts
- Clear drain lines and pans
- Check electrical connections
- Lubricate motors, bearings, and other moving parts
- Check thermostats and controls
- Check fan and blower operation
- Inspect heat pump
- Examine ductwork and vents
Are you curious as to why all of this is necessary? We encourage you to check out our blog post detailing the benefits of preventative HVAC maintenance to learn more.
What Should You Do for HVAC Maintenance?
We understand that most items on the above maintenance checklists likely go beyond your technical capabilities, or you have little desire to do it yourself. It is simply faster, easier, and less expensive for many homeowners to hire a professional HVAC technician to complete your annual checklists so that you can continue with your life hassle- and stress-free.
The only item that we recommend homeowners complete themselves is inspecting, cleaning, and changing the air filters in your central air conditioner, furnace, or heat pump ONCE A MONTH! A dirty filter can be hazardous to your home and drive up your utility bill. Not sure how to do it? Freon Doctor’s HVAC technicians can show you how during an inspection so that you can take care of it yourself.
Freon Doctors offers expert maintenance and repair services for your HVAC system. To see the complete list of our services, please click HERE for more information.
Make sure also to check out our Preventative Maintenance Protection Plan, where we offer:
- Regularly scheduled preventative maintenance (twice per year)
- Priority service over non-agreement customers
- 10% discount on parts
Click HERE for details!